Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Southern World

Hello , Welcome to my southern world. As my title states, I am a southern and also a woman.

I started this blog to talk about things that happen in my day to day life as a person living in the deep south. Also about stories from my growing up in the south.

This is my very first blog, ever. And I don't have a clue of what I'm doing. Or even if anything that I might have to talk about is worth people wanting to read. Any comments or help from everyone, will be welcomed. As we say in the south, I have always depended on the kindness of others. Or did I hear that in some movie. Yea, I know I did. But it sounds like something we would say in the south, right?

Sometimes when I watch the news of what is happening in other parts of the world, I feel like I'm living on another planet. I have traveled to other parts of the United States and Canada.

And as soon as I open my mouth to speak, my accent immediately gives me away. The first thing someone usually says to me, are you from the south?

I'm always being told that I have the cutest accent. I'm sure I lose a few IQ points as soon as someone hears me talk. Of course sometimes it really works to my advantage. You know, when you're trying to get out of a speeding ticket. That's when the use of darling or sweetheart really comes in handy.

Of course I'm sure there are some women somewhere who cringe when they hear me say that.
But I'm sure I wouldn't be the first person to use their personality to get out of a ticket. It has worked for me so far.

My day to day life involves working for the government. Of course my job doesn't involve working in an office. I get to ride around in a work truck. I see all kinds of wildlife. Deer, turkeys, bears, and every other kind of wildlife we have in the south. That includes snakes, Big and small.

Of course I work with mostly men. There is only one other female besides myself who works out in the field. These guys are a true picture of a southern male. Bunch of great guys, but without a doubt southern rednecks. You know the type, loves to hunt, curses every other word, drives a pickup with a gun rack.

I was involved one day in an accident going to one of my facilities that I was responsible for. I have just turned onto the road leading to the building, when a deer came running out of the woods and hit my truck. Of course the first question asked was not was I ok, but did it kill the deer? Boy, I knew right then what was important to a southern man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are one funny southern lady. Did the deer die?